- Unripe ume, 1kg
- Rock sugar, 800g – 1kg
- White liquor (korui shochu), 1.8L (alcohol content must be over 20%, can also use shochu or brandy)
- 4 liter wide-mouth bottle
1. Disinfect bottle with boiling water or alcohol and dry.
2. Wash ume with water and lightly dry.
3. Layer ume and rock sugar in wide mouth bottle, then add liquor. Attach lid securely. Label bottle with date.
4. Place in cool, dark place. Occasionally shake bottle to fully dissolve sugar.
5. Umeshu is ready for consumption in 3 months, but will be much more delicious if aged 6 months to 1 year.